Historical Timeline of the Schubert Theatre
The Schubert Theatre was built by Frank Robert Gooding, a successful sheep rancher, farmer and miner born in Devon, England who had moved to the United States with his family as a child in 1867. He moved to the Idaho Territory in 1881, settling in the area near the present town of Gooding, the city which would bear his name.
After Idaho became a state in 1890, he became the leader of the Idaho Republican Party and was elected Governor in 1904, serving two terms until 1909. During his administration the Idaho State Capital was built. He successfully ran for a seat in the U.S. Senate in 1920 and served until his death during his second term in office in 1928.
Before his election to the Senate, he built the Gooding Opera House on the Eastern corner of 4th and Main Street in Gooding at a cost of $60,000.00. It was completed in 1920 and was renamed the Schubert Theatre after Frank’s daughter, Louise May Gooding Schubert.
Adam J. Schubert, Louise’s husband, managed the theatre from 1921 until his death on October 30,1946. Their son, Adam (Bud) Schubert Jr. married Elizabeth Glenn one week later, on November 7, 1946, and they moved into the apartment above the theatre which they owned and operated until their retirement in 1983.
The following timeline has been taken from articles in the Gooding Leader, Twin Falls Daily News and the Times News. Thank you to Sharon Kelley for her work in this compilation.
1921- Approximately 500 people assembled at the Schubert Theatre to pay homage to the Pilgrim fathers who established the first colonies in the United States at Plymouth Rock 300 years ago.
April 14, 1921 – Manager A. J. Schubert installed during the past week three new sets of scenery in the Schubert Theatre. One of the sets was a forest scene, one a garden scene and the third a drawing room scene. Each set was complete with scenes for the wings as well as for the front. The forest scene was used for the first time at the Lyceum Course Concert and the drawing room scene for the recital between the moving picture programs of Saturday evening.
July 10, 1924 – The Schubert Theatre went under new management. It was placed under the Lincoln Inn Management by manager A. J. Schubert and under the personal management of Clarence Tolman. All of the employees were retained with Emmett Kelly being in charge of the machine, George Collins in charge of music and Amanda Frances Gooding at the ticket window. A $20 cash prize was offered to the holder of the lucky coupon during the last episode of the serial “The Way of A Man.” He announced that the serial “Leather Stockings” would be coming soon.
July 18-19, 1924 – Fight and Win Pictures presents Jack Dempsey boxing match.
September 15, 1924- The Harmony Male Quartet plays at the theatre.
October 18, 1924 – “The Man from Brodneys” and “The Fur Pirates” are shown.
October 21-22 1924 -Jack Dempsey fight is shown.
January 15, 1925 – A billboard advertised the “Gypsy Rover Operetta” in three acts by Gooding High School Music Department with 12 principals, 60 in chorus and Orchestra and direction by Pearl B. Allen. Tickets were on sale at Jeffries for 35 cents and 50 cents.
March 17-18, 1925 – “The Greatest of All” plays, and Metro Pictures billboard advertised Rex Ingram’s “Scaramouche” by Rafael Sabatini. Adaptation and continuity by Willis Goldbeck, featuring Ramon Novarro, Alice Terry, Lewis Stone. Photographed by John F. Seitz and directed by Rex Ingram.
February 4, 1926 – Garner Jubilee Singers play at t he theater. This is the second of the Ellison-White Lyceum course.
May 6-7, 1926 – The Schubert Theatre advertised “The Iron Horse” presented by William Fox. A John Ford Production, blazing the trail of love and civilization-direct from one year’s run in New York. Admission was 25 cents and 50 cents. The billboard advertised Buffalo Bill, The Boy, The Girl, Wild Bill Hickok and the Three Musketeers.
May 20, 1926 – Mrs. Wanda Hinckle played the pipe organ for the week as a special feature of the motion picture programs. She previously played at the opening of the Majestic Theatre in Nampa, and accepted a permanent position at the American Theatre in Salt Lake City beginning June 16.
July 1, 1926 – The Schubert Theatre installed a new motion picture screen Thursday. This screen is silvered and is one of the newest and best types on the market, costing approximately $300.00
January 23,1927 – Two young men were hurt and about $500.00 damage was done to the projecting room and equipment of the Schubert Theatre in a fire starting from the film Saturday evening. O. Franklin Thomas was scorched about the face and suffered a painful burn on his right arm in attempting to extinguish the flames immediately after they started. Mr. Thomas is a Gooding College student, who is this season operating the projecting machine. The other man hurt was John Kaneaster, one of the local firemen, who was overcome by fumes from the chemical fire extinguishers and smoke. He was carried downstairs, but soon revived after reaching the fresh air, and suffered no ill effects. About five hundred people were in the theatre at the time, estimated manager Shoults. Cool heads in the audience nipped in the bud any effort to clog the exits and in a remarkably orderly manner the crowd left the theater. Because of the unusual care with which the projecting room was built in a fireproof manner, the flames were easily confined to the small room. The reserve projector was not damaged by the fire and the theater resumed showing pictures as usual by the following Tuesday.
October 1927 – A. J. Schubert petitions the city council to permit the opening of the Schubert Theatre Sunday evenings. To be considered favorably by the council the petition must have as many names as there were majority votes cast in the last general election.
November 10, 1927 – The Gooding city council voted 3 to 1 in favor of Sunday movies.
January 5-6, 1928 – Mme. Lazora & Co., America’s only lady hypnotist is billed as refined, educational and amusing. Also billed - “Ask the mastermind questions on any part of life’s affairs. He knows. India’s most learned psychic.” In connection with the regular picture program, together with feature picture “One Woman to Another.”
November 28, 1929 – Schubert Theatre planning for “Talkies” in the not too distant future.
December 26, 1929 – Preliminary work for the installment of talking equipment in the Schubert Theatre will begin Wednesday next week. It is expected that the work of installation of this equipment, which will have no equal in the state, will be completed by January 15. To make the change it will be necessary to install new projection machines and a new curtain as well as the talking apparatus, all of which are to be the latest devices for sound projection.
January 23, 1930 – Gooding now has the “talking” picture at its theatre, the Schubert. Rudy Vallee in “The Vagabond Lover,” is the opening sound picture attraction for this occasion, and will be heard both Friday and Saturday.
February 20, 1930 – Gooding’s motion picture theatre, the Schubert, now has the distinction of being the only theatre in Idaho that has been given the Exhibitors Herald-World award of merit for the high quality of its reproduction of sound pictures. The Herald-World is an exhibitors weekly magazine published in Chicago and has recently inaugurated a campaign to encourage better sound reproduction in the motion picture theatres of the country.
March 13, 1930 – In this day of talking pictures, the people of Gooding are indeed fortunate in having in their midst the Schubert Theatre, an institution of which they can well be proud. This is one of the places where everyone goes when they wish to see the beautiful scenery of the world with the habits and customs of the people in talking news reels; places and people they are not likely to see in everyday life. This theatre has a wonderful reputation for its high class pictures and nationally advertised shows that are new in the larger cities are on the programs at this up to the minute show house.
March 9-11, 1933 – “Sunny Side Up”
April 20, 1933 – “Orange Blossom Beauties”
June 15-17, 1933 - “World’s Greatest Baritone” Lawrence Tibbett in “The Rogue Song,” a Metro Goldwyn Mayer All Talking Picture with Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. Always a good show at the Schubert!
December 13, 1934 – Decorator Hugo Clawsoon and helpers complete redecorating of the theatre.
December 20, 1934 – Special “Opening” program to celebrate the newly redecorated theatre.
September 7, 1935 – In Keeping with its policy of always giving patrons the best in theatre entertainment several important changes have been made and others are underway at the Schubert Theatre. Motiograph sound equipment, which embodies the latest principles in sound reproduction, and which has only been out a few months, has already been installed in the theatre. The knew equipment is known as wide range reproduction, and brings out every note and every sound on a film, which it has been impossible to reproduce heretofore. The management plans to install full upholstered late type theatre chairs throughout the lower floor. Some changes also are to be made in the balcony for more comfortable seats. Another improvement which will be highly appreciated but he patrons is the installation of an air cooling system which is to be put in this winter to be in readiness for the summer months.
July 14-30, 1936 – The Schubert Theatre begins installation of “Conditioning of Air” making the theatre one of the best equipped in Idaho. Both the humidity and the temperature of the air could be regulated to any desired degree. One of the features is the “washing” of air whereby the incoming air was sent through a sheet of water. Completion date was to be soon after August 5.
April 1, 1937 – New “Mirrophonic Sound” installed. New sound has a wider range, bringing out both the higher and lower notes to better advantage, and is evenly distributed to all parts of the theatre.
June 11, 1937 – A. J. Schubert assisted by Leo Hutchinson and Clem Pridmore demonstrated a portable talking motion picture machine at the Rotary Club meeting. Educational films were shown.
July 22, 1937 – A. J. Schubert, manager of the Schubert Theatre and Miss Adele Osborn marry in Wendell at the Methodist parsonage.
1944 – The Schubert Theatre undergoes significant remodeling, including interior remodel, moving the concession stand, covering interior hand painted canvases (six in total) in the auditorium/stage area with curtains and redecorating with new paint and wall paper. The orchestra pit was covered over and more stage added, but no other major structural changes were made at this time.
December 13, 1945 – Workers have been busy the past two days installing an elaborate new zeon marquee on the Schubert Theatre. The new installation consists of 15 inch high block letters bordered with green zeon tubing placed on top of the marquee. Underneath the marquee are two large S shaped designs in gold tubing. The new fixture adds much to the appearance of Gooding’s Main Street.
October 30, 1946 – A. J. Schubert, longtime manager of the Schubert Theatre dies.
November 7, 1946 – Adam (Bud) Schubert Jr. marries Elizabeth Glenn. They will move into the apartment above the theatre which they owned and operated until retirement.
1983- Theatre is remodeled again. This time, ceilings were lowered approximately eight feet by adding ceiling tiles and fluorescent lighting in the lobby and auditorium areas. The balcony entrances were also blocked off from patrons at this time.
November 4, 1983 – Thirty-seven years after he took over the Schubert Theatre, Bud Schubert Presented his final movie at the local cinema. Competition from cable television and theater chains which were able to monopolize first-run films, Schubert said, led to declining box office revenues in recent years. But it wasn’t always that way. “The movie business has been very good to LIz and I,” said Schubert who took over the theater from his father, Adam J. Sr., in 1946. “I’ve always enjoyed the gamble of booking movies. There was a lot of satisfaction in bringing in successful movies.” If negotiations this week are successful, Schubert predicted that theater chain-owner Roy Roper, who owns cinemas in Jerome and Twin Falls, would buy the Theater and slate first-run Hollywood releases.
1986- Schubert’s sell the theater, now known as Gooding Cinema.
2004- Theater is placed on the National Register of Historic Places - IHSI#47-2161